The Cody Library has been a vital part of this community for over 100 years. It was founded in 1906 as a project of the Woman’s Club of Cody and housed in a small stone building on the corner of Sheridan Ave. and 11th St.
Park County was formed from a part of Big Horn County in 1911. In 1914 the Park County Commissioners appointed the first board to form a county library. The Cody City Council immediately applied to the Carnegie Foundation for funds to build a new building. Funding was granted, and the Carnegie Library was opened in 1916.