The Powell Library Club, founded in 1910, started the first public library in Powell – a shelf of books in Dr. J.D. Lewellwn’s office. A few years later, the Fairview school was moved to the current site, the corner of 3rd and Clark streets, to become the first library building.
A larger building, incorporating the original, was completed in 1934 and became a branch library of the Park County Library System in 1937. Further rebuilding and remodeling projects were completed in 1961, 1981, and 1992. The Powell Library Club continued to donate to the library until it disbanded in 1995.